Friday, July 16, 2010

A love for gig shirts

So you're at a gig and you're so impressed with the set you just have to buy a shirt? Or maybe you walked past the merch stand and just love the design so much you have to get one? Whatever reason you have for walking out with that precious shirt under your arm, the fact is that gig shirt will take on a life of it's own from that moment on.

Last Saturday I found myself jogging down Semaphore (yes my friends! Not only was I volunteerily excercising but exercising on a weekend!) in my new British India gig shirt from a couple of weeks before. During my jog I ran into my next door neighbour, Fiona, and one of her friends, (Uncle Joey I think his name was?!). After introductions, the next thing Uncle Joey says to me is "Oh you like that band British India, yeah I've heard of them pretty pop rock hey?". Well I wasn't too keen on the word "pop" used in describing one of my fav aussie rock bands, but I let that one slide. But, from his first question, we went into a full detailed conversation about our favourite genres and muso's out at the moment, our recent gig appearances, and more!

After we parted, all I could think about was how my gig shirt had unleashed all this information about Fiona and Uncle Joey that I would never have known if I wasn't wearing that shirt, that day! I learnt that apparently Uncle Joey likes heavy metal rock, which I should have picked up on with his black shoulder length hair, week-old beard, chunky tattooed arms, and a black ripped shirt! Also that my neighbour Fiona has been working at the BDO for the past 8 years, and is one of those big Muse fans (but I won't hold it against her!). We're even going to swap CD's!

So much power in a peice of fabric, right?

I would love to hear anyone elses's gig shirt stories, or any other shirt story, that has unleashed a new adventure or new friendships, or anything really! (Use the comments section below)


Models: Kenny wearing her fav White Stripes gig shirt JB wearing her fav Falls sweater



Models: Woody wearing her fav Michael Franti gig shirt, Brods wearing her fav Audreys gig shirt



Models: Kenny again, Emma wearng her fav Gyroscope gig shirt

(Thank you to all my models!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment