Monday, July 12, 2010

A love for Roller Derby


Last Saturday night I geared up for my first Roller Derby event! I originally fell in love with the game after watching the movie "Whip It" with Drew Barrymore , Ellen Page, and my favourite: Juliette Lewis. Just the simple fact that you could have a game fit for anyone of any size of any personality, it was inspiring I guess. Plus the fashion costumes, friendships, and girl power combined, all makes for a great show!So you'd understand my excitement when I found out that little old Adelaide had its own comp. Adelaide Roller Derby is in it's second year, and from what I hear it's getting bigger and bigger each bout (bout = round).

In Saturday's match the Mile Die Club took on Wild Hearses, all with their theatrical stage names and costumes to match. The arena was packed, and of course we were running late so we could only find a few spots on the concrete floor, but it was worth it with our front row views! I must confess I had a smile from ear to ear for the first few Jams, just being there in that atmosphere it was so exciting. In the end it was Wild Hearses who took the win, but a special mention to Bone Shaker (38) from the MDC who was just pretty damn awesome!

Roller Derby also has an amazing history, spanning back to 1935 when a struggling film publicist called Leo A. "Bromo" Seltzer saw an opportunity to cash in on the roller skating fad in the US. Ever since, the country has been obsessed with the sport (which was formed as the National Roller Derby League in the 1940's). To me, Roller Derby has a somewhat 1970's feel about it, perhaps because of the Roller Disco fad in the late 1970's, but mostly its the fashion icons I think.

In 2001, a new generation of women-only Roller Derby was created, to showcase a raucous, rockabilly, circus-like roller derby spectacle. By the last count in mid 2009, there were 425 amateur leagues in the world.

Next Roller Derby event - Sunday 25 July, The Salty Dolls vs Road Train Rollers. Be there! xx


1 comment:

  1. there was a doco on sbs a few weeks ago about the queensland roller derby 'scene', it was pretty good - had no idea it was here in adelaide too! i think trav would like to give it a go if he was able, he used to be pretty nifty on the skates!!

    ReplyDelete